Griddled Mackeral and Squid, served with Tzatziki and Pita serves 1
I woke up on Saturday morning with a monster craving for BBQ seafood…. not just any kind of BBQ seafood though. I was after the Greek sort… the sort I found grilling away everywhere I looked last Summer at Santorini’s waterside Tavernas. I’m beginning to think I have a telepathic connection with my local Waitrose… upon rocking up at the fish counter, I was chuffed to find fresh Whole Mackerals and Squid on offer at knocked-down prices!
for the squid:
- 4 Squid tubes
- 1 large glug of Olive Oil
- 1 small dash of White Wine vinegar
- Large pinch of Chilli Flakes
- Small pinch of Oregano
- Small pinch of Smoked Paprika
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Mint, finely chopped
for the fish:
- 1 whole Mackeral, scaled and degutted
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- Flour – seasoned lightly with salt and pepper
- Mint, roughly chopped
- Tzatziki (to be served on the side)
- Combine the squid tubes with the oil, vinegar, lemon juice and all other spices and herbs. Leave to marinade for an hour.
- Rub the mackeral all over with oil then dust lightly with seasoned flour
- Heat a generously oiled griddle pan to a high heat. Shallow fry the mackeral for about 3 minutes on each side until the skin is crisp and brown
- Fry off the marinated Squid for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve up piping hot with a slice of lemon, chopped mint, a dollop of Tzatziki and toasted Pita.
That’s it - its that simple. The sharp acidity of the lemon juice and cooling, mint-fresh Tzatziki mix really does do wonders to this dish, complementing the rich, savoury Mackeral beautifully…
Nostimos*… I so need to go back this summer.